Monday, September 07, 2009

 

Pokkisham- a review

Pokkisham, more than anything else, is a showcase for Cheran's writing abilities. I found it interminably long, the plot device of having the son read Cheran's diary entries and Cheran's and Padmapriya's letters palled pretty soon and the whole thing became an exercise in how flowery could Cheran express his love and regret.
Even given I'm not schooled in Tamil, and that my knowledge of the language is strictly functional, which meant that I couldn't appreciate the writing, my grouse is that a movie is not a vehicle for reading 'literature' aloud. Which is really what much of the 2 plus hours of this movie ended up being.
The story FWIW, is fairly cliched (boy meets girl, falls in love, girl's father opposed to relationship)- so it needed something special to move it along, not an endless series of vignettes with voice overs. And did I say how slow this moved? Wading thru molasses...
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Get jaxtr | Login