Wednesday, November 12, 2008

 

What drives consumption?

I was watching 60minutes this past Sunday and one of the items was about this huge dump in China where electronic stuff is sent for recycling. In the introduction to this piece they talked about the culture here in the US where people constantly keep replacing their otherwise functional items and dump them. I dumped a couple of working monitors on the sidewalk but rationalised it by saying that
a) replacing CRT's with LCD's reduces energy consumption and
b)I was getting more desk space

I didn't take the trouble to find a place where they recycle monitors in a green fashion, so I am guilty of that.

Anyhow back to the consumption culture- people do replace all sorts of electronic items like cell phones and digicams and DVD players on a fairly frequent basis just because a new version has come out
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Get jaxtr | Login