Sunday, January 23, 2005

 

Movies

I finally got my Hollywood Video coupons. For some reason every 6 months or so I find in my letterbox 4 of these Hollywood Video coupons each of which entitles me to borrow 3 movies for 99cents each. That is about the only time I rent new videos, otherwise I wait for them to come to general display and then use BlockBuster's rent one get one free deal that they operate Monday thru Thursday.
The last time, 6 months ago I watched Mystic River and Mona Lisa Smile and Love Actually and a couple of other new(ish) movies.
This time I borrowed on the first coupon, AnchorMan, Mean Girls and Goodbye Berlin. I finished watching AnchorMan and am almost done with Mean Girls which my wife insists on watching with me. AnchorMan was not what I thought it was going to be, I thought it would be slapsticky like Old School, but it is more like serious farce, don't you think? All that stuff about dogs talking bear-speak and Luke (or is it Owen) Wilson getting both his hands hacked off. I thought the funniest line was "Bark twice if you are in Milwaukee"!

I wasn't in the US in the seventies so I guess I miss all the allusions. It was a funny movie though all said and done and worth the buck!

We are watching Nadodikaattu once again with my m.i.l. That is really farce for the most part and I think it is rather dated. Of course watching it brings to mind this imaginary era of innocence and simplicity and Mohanlal before he became a superhero.

Whatever was the appeal of NattuRajavu I wonder. The same cliches, the same attempts to make a catchy line like "Poda Mone Dinesha" and "Chummathe" and "Savari Giri Giri", this time it was "Kaaranam nee kuttiyanu".

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Get jaxtr | Login